Mold Remediation: All the Information You Need to Know
Mold is an increasing issue among homeowners, specifically during the hot summer and autumn. Heat and humidity form ideal conditions for mold growth throughout a home's surfaces - especially areas with running water sources such as plumbing pipes. What steps can be taken to stop it from growing in your home or business or remediate existing instances? Read on to gain more facts.
What Is Mold? Molds are forms of fungus that thrive on food, clothing and porous building materials such as wood studs or insulation panels. If you have ever forgotten to throw out some leftovers from your fridge in recent weeks, chances are high that mold has made itself known to you!
What Is Mold and How Do You Identify it
Mold can be seen on surfaces and comes in various colors; black, green, gray and brown mold are among those most often associated with it. It is often depicted as musty in scent, but loamy or pungent smells are sometimes associated.
Sometimes, health issues appear for seemingly no discernable reason in home occupants, with breathing problems, coughing and sneezing among family members and pets being symptoms. If this is suspected of being caused by mold growth in your home, immediately contact a mold abatement expert for removal services.
How Can I Prevent Mold? Preventing mold from growing from the start is ideal since avoiding it is much better than dealing with it later. Mold spores may exist everywhere but only evolve where there's moisture available - indoors or out.
* To control indoor humidity below 50% for best results
* Use exhaust and ventilation fans when cooking, washing dishes or taking hot showers.
* Check for water leaks often in your kitchen, bathrooms and any water-connected appliances such as faucets. If any leaks require fixing, act promptly to fix them as soon as possible.
Also, ensure any drip pans in your ventilation or HVAC systems stay clean and dry for optimal functioning.
* For optimal performance, ensure your dryer vent vents outside. Warm, humid air flowing over wood or drywall surfaces is perfect for mold growth.
* If there's been a liquid spill, clean it up quickly. If, for instance, you spill a bottle of water on a carpeted floor, use towels to absorb as much as possible before turning fans on an angle to blow dry the area as quickly as possible. Otherwise, mold could quickly develop! * When cleaning up any liquid spill, act quickly. To minimize mold growth in affected areas as soon as possible by taking suitable action immediately following any liquid accident, consider hiring professional carpet cleaning services as soon as possible after any such spill occurred as quickly as possible after. * In case of liquid spill, immediately respond quickly by taking actions such as: 1) Soak up excess with towels, then angle fans will continue blow-drying until dry.
What Are My Options If There Is Mold in My Home?
If you find mold in your home, the best course of action would be to contact a mold professional like those found at Carolina Duct and Crawl to come and assess and clean up the matter. While some molds can be relatively harmless, others can lead to serious health problems that require professional cleanup services. Let the professionals help determine the most appropriate strategy to protect both you and your family from further exposure to dangerous environments.
Here are a few more suggestions:
Whilst fans and HVAC systems should remain off, as doing so may spread mold spores further around your home!
If possible, isolate the room where mold is growing - for example, if it's a bathroom, close off and don't use that room if possible- to contain its growth more effectively and efficiently. By doing so, remediation efforts will become more straightforward (and successful).
* To stop water leaks and prevent mold growth, determine where they're coming from as soon as possible and turn off all sources. If mold is growing near a leaky water intake behind a toilet, switch off its water fixture to stop its flow to that area. Since mold thrives in humid and damp environments, stopping this flow should help thwart and slow its progress.
Can You Clean Up Mold Yourself?
Although you may think you know about mold, it is wise to contact an outside source like (company name) as they specialize in mold remediation services and can determine exactly what species of mold exist in your environment.
Mold removal can prove tricky, especially if you need the correct safety equipment. The last thing you want to do is spread more mold spores around your home and business, potentially endangering your family or employees.
Even if you terminate mold from plasterboard, it may return if the origin of the leak isn't sealed. You need to select the start of the mold growing in the first place to get rid of the mold entirely, and the mold can return worse.
The Carolina Duct and Crawl LLC Cleaning and Restoration pros are trained to handle mold cleanup and ensure that your family or employees breathe clean air. Contact us Instantly if you presume there could be mold in your home or corporation.